Driving down the road when an error code all of a sudden illuminates on your dashboard is a scary moment. Error code 86 on a Chevy Sonic is something most owners will see when owning this specific car for an extended period.
The code is a common message in the 2012 and 2013 models. The good news is that Chevy Sonic error code 82 is not a severe problem if you take action right away.
This article will explain what Chevy Sonic code 82 is and how to fix it yourself at home.
What Does Code 82 Mean on a Chevy Sonic?
The Chevy Sonic code 82 indicates that the engine oil has 5% or less left of its expected lifetime, meaning the oil has to be changed as soon as possible. Not changing the oil could cause severe engine damage, resulting in expensive repairs.
Changing oil is a tedious expense, but it’s one of your car’s most important maintenance tasks. Fortunately, it’s also one of the easiest and cheapest things you can do to prolong the life of your vehicle.
If you’ve just had an oil change done on your Chevy at an oil shop, the mechanic most likely forgot to reset the oil life meter.
How to Fix Chevy Sonic Code 82
The first thing you’ll need to do is purchase new oil and an oil filter. You can find the specific oil type for your Chevy Sonic in the owner’s manual.
You’ll also need a few tools, including a socket wrench, an oil catch pan, and a funnel. Once you have everything, follow these steps:
- Park your Chevy Sonic on level ground and turn off the engine.
- Jack up the car and secure it using jack stands as you will be working underneath the car.
- Locate the oil drain plug on the car’s underside and place the catch pan underneath it.
- Use a socket wrench to remove the drain plug and allow all used oil to drain. It’s an advantage if the oil is slightly warm to drain easier.
- Replace the drain plug gasket. If needed, replace the drain plug as well.
- Tighten the drain plug using the socket wrench. Be careful not to tighten it too hard, causing the threads to strip.
- Remove the used oil filter and replace it with a new one. Tighten the filter by hand.
- Pour fresh oil into the Chevy Sonic using the funnel until it reaches the full line on the dipstick.
- Start your Chevy Sonic and check for leaks around the drain plug and oil filter.
- Turn off the car and check the oil level as the oil has settled on the bottom of the oil pan.
- Recheck the oil level after driving for a few miles to ensure it’s not too low.
- If the oil level is low, add more oil until it reaches the full line on the dipstick.
What Kind of Engine Oil Does a Chevy Sonic Use?
Chevy recommends using 5W-30 synthetic oil. Although, if you live in a climate where temperatures drop below -20° Fahrenheit, you should use 0W-30 synthetic oil to lubricate the engine properly.
Chevy also recommends changing the oil every 7000 to 1000 miles or every six months, whichever comes first. Some makes and models require you to change the engine oil every 5000 miles.
How to Reset Chevy Sonic Code 82
The error code 82 should not be reset unless you change the engine oil and filter. As mentioned above, ignoring an oil change will likely damage the engine.
To reset the Chevy Sonic error code 82, follow these steps:
- Turn the key to the “On” position.
- Toggle the menu button and navigate to “Oil Life” in your DIC. You should see a text reading “Reset”.
- Press and hold the “Set/CLR” button until it states the oil life has 100% left.
Chevy Sonic code 82 is not a serious problem if you take action right away by changing the oil and filter.
If you’ve just had an oil change done, the mechanic may have forgotten to reset the Chevy Sonic code 82.
You can fix Chevy Sonic error code 82 by yourself by purchasing new oil, a new oil filter, and a drain plug gasket.
To reset oil life on a chevy sonic, you must follow the three-step guide above.